During the 1700 St. Augustine was a walled city and the City Gates were the only way in and the only way out. It was originally built to protect the city. Today the City Gates are located at the entrance to St. George Street, the main walking street in the historic district.
There is a wide selection of cafes, ice cream parlors, chocolate stores, restaurants and over 240 shops. There is no entrance fee to the City Gates and St. George Street.