Castillo de San Marcos is the oldest handmade national monument in the continental USA. The fort was built by the Spanish to protect their interests in the New World that later became known as America. Construction started in 1672 and ended in 1695. The fort is made of coquina stones. The unusual consistency of these compressed sea shells is the reason it remains standing to this day. The Monument site consists of 330 years of history and culture in an area of 20.5 acres.
- Powder Magazine: a vaulted chamber used to protect the fort’s gunpowder.
- Guard rooms: where the soldiers slept while they were on 24 h guard duty.
- Bastions each corner of the fort is protected by a diamond shaped bastion.
- Ravelin: shielded the fort’s entrance
- Open: All days 08:45 AM – 5:00 PM except Christmas Day
- Recommended duration of visit: 2 h
1 South Castillo Drive, (904) 829-6506